via real For Women
Co-written by Women’s Rights Advocate Verina Algie
Six stories in the news headlines grabbed my attention over a short period of time in the middle of last year:
- Rolf Harris was found guilty on all 12 charges for the “indecent assault” of 4 children
- A man was arrested for the rape and murder of 32 year old Yuk Ling Lau in Melbourne. He is now reportedly “happy to be in jail with a roof over his head”.
- Gerrard Baden-Clay was found guilty of murdering his wife, Allison Baden-Clay, Brisbane.
- The Oscar Pistorius trial for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, which later only found him guilty manslaughter.
- The La Trobe University’s ground-breaking report that lifted the lid on the sexual assault of older women in Australia.
- The rapes and sexual assaults of women in the Australian military.
They all involve male violence and male sexual violence…
View original post 1,361 more words